Monday, June 1, 2009

Basement Bombardment

It’s been a while since I have actually sat down at the computer. I am so embarrassed to acknowledge the reason for my absence.

The computer is in my basement/dungeon, and well, I have been ignoring it. As with all ignored problems it has grown. Grown may be a gross understatement. But we’ll go with that for now.

The kids toys, Geoff’s shop, the schoolroom, laundry, and of course general storage have all been hiding out down here waiting to attack its first victim. They have mingled together and followed the biblical command to be fruitful and multiply! What was once a treacherous trail to the computer has now swallowed in behind me. As I sit and type I feel its looming presence creeping up my chair, and circling my ankles in attempts to make me its next tasty meal.

But I am not afraid! I come equipped with the words of doom to all overgrowth! The words are so powerful they can only be uttered once a year. However this year I may appeal to the powers that be (Geoff) for a double dip into the vat of power.

If you have found yourself in the same place and are wondering what the secret words to overcoming this particular problem is…. I can tell you for only 3 monthly installments of $19.95.

Ok yes, I am kidding the words of Doom to all overgrowth are,

GARAGE SALE!

Even as I whisper those words I can see the tangled mass withering beneath me. In the distance I can hear a smothered scream of NNOOOO! Not that! Anything but that! You Love ME! Remember….We are old friends and spent many an hour together. I pause and do remember when the crumpled up drawing of an unidentifiable object that is now laden with coffee stains was given to me by a proud child. The same pudgy faced child who has also gave me 500 other equally as precious drawings on that very same day. (Some of which actually made it to the precious box) I pick up the picture and give heed to the voices calling me to save it. Add it to the pile of other things that I am ever so nostalgic about. I look for the “precious box” I cannot even locate it! The mass of headless naked dolls, dried play-dough chunks, capless markers are too much!!! Reality smacks my head like a 2x4! Why am I clinging to things that only cause me to fight for my life? How have this monster and I become such old Friends?
Precious Box located. (Otherwise known as a trash can)

Garage Sale here we come! Garage Sale, Garage Sale, Garage Sale! I chant the words to ward of all other beasts that may be creeping in my door.

I woke up in the middle of the night last week with this reference in my head. Psalm 119:37 When I looked it up at 2 in the morning I just had to smile and love my God all the more!
Psalm 119:37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. [b]

8 comments:

Sande said...

Never thought I would say this but culling for me is almost as fun as shopping .... in a weird kind of way.

Holland said...

hmmm I would have to agree with you purging oneself of such things can be almost as fun as shopping. Especially when making a dent in the the accumulation. It spurs me on to see how much I really need to cling too.

Christy said...

Loved this post. Too true and you have such a way with words that makes sitting in a basement full of junk sound so interesting.

Leat said...

Hi Holland!
My garage sale is this weekend. Wanna trade some stuff?
Leat (Kerri)

Anonymous said...

O my heck, Girl! Were you hanging out in MY basement?? I wouldn't have noticed you if you were there, for you could easily get lost in that PIT! Why do I keep this JUNK?

I am so in touch with you right now! :) xoxo

Sonya Atencio said...

uhhhh. weird. "Anonymous" is Sonya. Sonya. Must have hit the wrong button.

oopsy!

BE Whitetree said...

Ok so this has nothing to do with your ominous basement but how the hay did you get the cute layout to come up? I keep trying from the cutest blog on the block but it will never show up after I add it. Oh wise one of the computer region please help me

Holland said...

SanDe - I have to agree with you,culling is better than shopping. However my kids and husband hate it when i do, they have even taken to hiding things from me, so that i dont get rid of their stuff!
Christy - thanks, I was in a special mood yesterday :)
Kerri- my garage sale was supposed to be this weekend but we decided to go camping instead maybe i will stop by on the way out of town.
Sonya - you're hilarious!
Elena - i did not find it on cutestblog, i found it here http://www.blogaroozer.com/search/label/Floral
I need to put the button back up where i found it.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Basement Bombardment

It’s been a while since I have actually sat down at the computer. I am so embarrassed to acknowledge the reason for my absence.

The computer is in my basement/dungeon, and well, I have been ignoring it. As with all ignored problems it has grown. Grown may be a gross understatement. But we’ll go with that for now.

The kids toys, Geoff’s shop, the schoolroom, laundry, and of course general storage have all been hiding out down here waiting to attack its first victim. They have mingled together and followed the biblical command to be fruitful and multiply! What was once a treacherous trail to the computer has now swallowed in behind me. As I sit and type I feel its looming presence creeping up my chair, and circling my ankles in attempts to make me its next tasty meal.

But I am not afraid! I come equipped with the words of doom to all overgrowth! The words are so powerful they can only be uttered once a year. However this year I may appeal to the powers that be (Geoff) for a double dip into the vat of power.

If you have found yourself in the same place and are wondering what the secret words to overcoming this particular problem is…. I can tell you for only 3 monthly installments of $19.95.

Ok yes, I am kidding the words of Doom to all overgrowth are,

GARAGE SALE!

Even as I whisper those words I can see the tangled mass withering beneath me. In the distance I can hear a smothered scream of NNOOOO! Not that! Anything but that! You Love ME! Remember….We are old friends and spent many an hour together. I pause and do remember when the crumpled up drawing of an unidentifiable object that is now laden with coffee stains was given to me by a proud child. The same pudgy faced child who has also gave me 500 other equally as precious drawings on that very same day. (Some of which actually made it to the precious box) I pick up the picture and give heed to the voices calling me to save it. Add it to the pile of other things that I am ever so nostalgic about. I look for the “precious box” I cannot even locate it! The mass of headless naked dolls, dried play-dough chunks, capless markers are too much!!! Reality smacks my head like a 2x4! Why am I clinging to things that only cause me to fight for my life? How have this monster and I become such old Friends?
Precious Box located. (Otherwise known as a trash can)

Garage Sale here we come! Garage Sale, Garage Sale, Garage Sale! I chant the words to ward of all other beasts that may be creeping in my door.

I woke up in the middle of the night last week with this reference in my head. Psalm 119:37 When I looked it up at 2 in the morning I just had to smile and love my God all the more!
Psalm 119:37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. [b]

8 comments:

Sande said...

Never thought I would say this but culling for me is almost as fun as shopping .... in a weird kind of way.

Holland said...

hmmm I would have to agree with you purging oneself of such things can be almost as fun as shopping. Especially when making a dent in the the accumulation. It spurs me on to see how much I really need to cling too.

Christy said...

Loved this post. Too true and you have such a way with words that makes sitting in a basement full of junk sound so interesting.

Leat said...

Hi Holland!
My garage sale is this weekend. Wanna trade some stuff?
Leat (Kerri)

Anonymous said...

O my heck, Girl! Were you hanging out in MY basement?? I wouldn't have noticed you if you were there, for you could easily get lost in that PIT! Why do I keep this JUNK?

I am so in touch with you right now! :) xoxo

Sonya Atencio said...

uhhhh. weird. "Anonymous" is Sonya. Sonya. Must have hit the wrong button.

oopsy!

BE Whitetree said...

Ok so this has nothing to do with your ominous basement but how the hay did you get the cute layout to come up? I keep trying from the cutest blog on the block but it will never show up after I add it. Oh wise one of the computer region please help me

Holland said...

SanDe - I have to agree with you,culling is better than shopping. However my kids and husband hate it when i do, they have even taken to hiding things from me, so that i dont get rid of their stuff!
Christy - thanks, I was in a special mood yesterday :)
Kerri- my garage sale was supposed to be this weekend but we decided to go camping instead maybe i will stop by on the way out of town.
Sonya - you're hilarious!
Elena - i did not find it on cutestblog, i found it here http://www.blogaroozer.com/search/label/Floral
I need to put the button back up where i found it.

Text