Thursday, July 2, 2009

Grown Men and Giggles

Within a matter of hours Geoff decided to go on motorcycle trek to Arizona and was gone. He will be gone for 7 days. My father invited him at the last minute and the two took off just like that. Geoff is on furlough from work for 4 weeks so he had the opportunity to go and snagged it. At 5am in the morning they loaded up and headed out. What makes this so humorous to me is that at that hour those two were like a couple of giddy school girls. They were giggling and carrying on as if they had just been cleared to celebrate spring break in south beach without parental control. I thought for sure they were going to wake the neighbors! All I could do was stand there with my mouth agape just staring at the sight before me. Anyone who knows Geoff knows what a foreign sight this was to behold. The man can barely walk before noon, let alone comprehend anything anyone says to him. To say that he is not a morning person is a drastic understatement. Yet there he was wide awake (without caffeinated medication) and conversing with my dad. In all our 13 years together I can honestly say I have never seen that phenomenon before. Seeing him excited about this trip has made me equally excited for him. He has taken Aida’s death so hard. I don’t know the words to tell you what we have gone through these last few months. So my prayer for him on this journey is that he will have a refreshing, renewing time with God that he will find the drive he needs to go on. (I will write more on all that later) But for now enjoy the image of two men on motorcycles precariously surrounded by piled sleeping bags, tents, backpacks and of course fishing poles. Their grins were as wide as the possessions they carried. Above the low roar of their bikes I heard two men laughing as they drove off into the sunrise.



I think I will call this picture Before.

I had just finished typing my last sentence and the phone rang, Geoff’s first words of greeting were, “well I found out I don’t need to buy a dirt bike too”.
Umm….great! I think…..why?
“Cuz we went on this trail and my bike handled it great” We were going to go to Gooseberry falls but the only way there was across this river that was waist deep in some spots! Dad plowed halfway across and stopped his bike died and it wouldn’t move so I had to lay down my bike and go in and help him to the other side! We took out the spark plugs and drained about a gallon of water out of it. I found another spot for him to cross back over to the other side. I decided I wasn’t going to try and cross with my bike.”
He said all that in one breath.
So…. I slowly contemplate what words I should use before speaking. Should I be surprised if the both of you come back on one bike?
“No” was his only reply.
He said dad’s bike was still running, but the starter was acting funny. It did not seem to be a concern for either of them. They were stopping for breakfast and phone calls home, before heading on. From the euphoric tone in his voice I am pretty sure those goofy grins are still plastered on their faces. Although they may be a little more bug filled.

I just had a thought! He was sposed to sell that bike, I wonder if he will have a change of heart after his bonding trip? Hhhmmmm…..

2 comments:

Christy said...

That is awesome! So glad Geoff could do that with your Dad.

Sande said...

The life in that one blokey week!! He will be drawing strength from this one journey for years; decades even.

Can't but imagine the amazing substance that will come from their adventure.

.... gives me itchy feet .... where can I buy a bike?

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Grown Men and Giggles

Within a matter of hours Geoff decided to go on motorcycle trek to Arizona and was gone. He will be gone for 7 days. My father invited him at the last minute and the two took off just like that. Geoff is on furlough from work for 4 weeks so he had the opportunity to go and snagged it. At 5am in the morning they loaded up and headed out. What makes this so humorous to me is that at that hour those two were like a couple of giddy school girls. They were giggling and carrying on as if they had just been cleared to celebrate spring break in south beach without parental control. I thought for sure they were going to wake the neighbors! All I could do was stand there with my mouth agape just staring at the sight before me. Anyone who knows Geoff knows what a foreign sight this was to behold. The man can barely walk before noon, let alone comprehend anything anyone says to him. To say that he is not a morning person is a drastic understatement. Yet there he was wide awake (without caffeinated medication) and conversing with my dad. In all our 13 years together I can honestly say I have never seen that phenomenon before. Seeing him excited about this trip has made me equally excited for him. He has taken Aida’s death so hard. I don’t know the words to tell you what we have gone through these last few months. So my prayer for him on this journey is that he will have a refreshing, renewing time with God that he will find the drive he needs to go on. (I will write more on all that later) But for now enjoy the image of two men on motorcycles precariously surrounded by piled sleeping bags, tents, backpacks and of course fishing poles. Their grins were as wide as the possessions they carried. Above the low roar of their bikes I heard two men laughing as they drove off into the sunrise.



I think I will call this picture Before.

I had just finished typing my last sentence and the phone rang, Geoff’s first words of greeting were, “well I found out I don’t need to buy a dirt bike too”.
Umm….great! I think…..why?
“Cuz we went on this trail and my bike handled it great” We were going to go to Gooseberry falls but the only way there was across this river that was waist deep in some spots! Dad plowed halfway across and stopped his bike died and it wouldn’t move so I had to lay down my bike and go in and help him to the other side! We took out the spark plugs and drained about a gallon of water out of it. I found another spot for him to cross back over to the other side. I decided I wasn’t going to try and cross with my bike.”
He said all that in one breath.
So…. I slowly contemplate what words I should use before speaking. Should I be surprised if the both of you come back on one bike?
“No” was his only reply.
He said dad’s bike was still running, but the starter was acting funny. It did not seem to be a concern for either of them. They were stopping for breakfast and phone calls home, before heading on. From the euphoric tone in his voice I am pretty sure those goofy grins are still plastered on their faces. Although they may be a little more bug filled.

I just had a thought! He was sposed to sell that bike, I wonder if he will have a change of heart after his bonding trip? Hhhmmmm…..

2 comments:

Christy said...

That is awesome! So glad Geoff could do that with your Dad.

Sande said...

The life in that one blokey week!! He will be drawing strength from this one journey for years; decades even.

Can't but imagine the amazing substance that will come from their adventure.

.... gives me itchy feet .... where can I buy a bike?

Text