When Geoff and I were still in school some of our best conversations were held on the rooftop of my dorm. We sat among the pine trees and watched the stars make their nightly appearance. The moon danced in the reflection of the rippling lake below. The gentle breeze and the distant call of a loon were our only company. With the northern lights as our backdrop our souls bared all; many a deep discussion was held there.
We both have cherished our rooftop talks, but I do have to admit they did set us up for disappointment. The days that Geoff and I have found to climb up on a roof and have a good heart to heart, have been few and far between. Yet, over the years we have managed to relocate the rooftop discussions to the couch.
Last night we found ourselves sitting in the back of our mini-van with the trunk open. The gentle breeze was drifting by and in the distance once could hear a dog whining. If I tried hard enough the street lamps became stars. No the atmosphere was not the same but the hearts were. God blessed us with time together to enjoy another one of those conversations. It had been so long overdue. I am so thankful that my God cares enough to give the two of us a memory and a beautiful time together. Something so small, but not too small for Him.
Monday, February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Monday, February 9, 2009
Rooftops and Couches
When Geoff and I were still in school some of our best conversations were held on the rooftop of my dorm. We sat among the pine trees and watched the stars make their nightly appearance. The moon danced in the reflection of the rippling lake below. The gentle breeze and the distant call of a loon were our only company. With the northern lights as our backdrop our souls bared all; many a deep discussion was held there.
We both have cherished our rooftop talks, but I do have to admit they did set us up for disappointment. The days that Geoff and I have found to climb up on a roof and have a good heart to heart, have been few and far between. Yet, over the years we have managed to relocate the rooftop discussions to the couch.
Last night we found ourselves sitting in the back of our mini-van with the trunk open. The gentle breeze was drifting by and in the distance once could hear a dog whining. If I tried hard enough the street lamps became stars. No the atmosphere was not the same but the hearts were. God blessed us with time together to enjoy another one of those conversations. It had been so long overdue. I am so thankful that my God cares enough to give the two of us a memory and a beautiful time together. Something so small, but not too small for Him.
We both have cherished our rooftop talks, but I do have to admit they did set us up for disappointment. The days that Geoff and I have found to climb up on a roof and have a good heart to heart, have been few and far between. Yet, over the years we have managed to relocate the rooftop discussions to the couch.
Last night we found ourselves sitting in the back of our mini-van with the trunk open. The gentle breeze was drifting by and in the distance once could hear a dog whining. If I tried hard enough the street lamps became stars. No the atmosphere was not the same but the hearts were. God blessed us with time together to enjoy another one of those conversations. It had been so long overdue. I am so thankful that my God cares enough to give the two of us a memory and a beautiful time together. Something so small, but not too small for Him.
1 comment:
- Christy said...
-
That's funny Holland. Just yesterday I was reminiscing of quiet moments on a frozen lake in the north woods with my love as Christian and I walked on a frozen lake near our home. Good times :)
-
February 9, 2009 at 4:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's funny Holland. Just yesterday I was reminiscing of quiet moments on a frozen lake in the north woods with my love as Christian and I walked on a frozen lake near our home. Good times :)
Post a Comment